Accidental contact with electricity usually results in serious life threatening injuries, even death. Such occurrences can be minimized if the following precautions are taken when working near power lines:
- Assume all overhead and downed power lines are live and dangerous.
- Keep objects at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Inspect surroundings before operating equipment to avoid interference with power lines.
- Do not attempt to raise or move power lines.
- Report any damaged electrical equipment or downed lines to Altamaha EMC immediately.
- If you plan to dig, call the Utility Protection Center at 811 a few days in advance of your scheduled dig to allow time for the request to be processed.
- Never fly kites or model airplanes near electric power lines.
- Do not climb trees with power lines in or near the branches.
- Avoid areas where warning signs around electrical equipment have been posted.
- Stay away from damaged or broken utility poles with electrical wires. Do not shoot at insulators or power lines.