1. Do not overload electrical outlets. 
  2. Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)* outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, outdoor receptacles, and other water access areas.
  3. Do not place electrical appliances near water.
  4. Place safety covers on all unused wall outlets.
  5. Use proper wattage when replacing burned-out bulbs for lamps and lighting fixtures to prevent overheating and risk of fire.
  6. Replace burned-out light bulbs immediately, never leave lamp sockets empty.
  7. Use an adapter with a ground tab for a three-pronged plug.
  8. Never attempt to remove the third prong.
  9. Avoid extension cords as a permanent means for wiring. Extension cords should be used only on a temporary basis.
  10. Do not connect multiple extension cords.
  11. Never run extension cords underneath rugs, carpets, or furniture. Walking on cords can lessen the durability of the cord and possibly cause a fire.
  12. Replace faulty electrical products.
  13. Never leave small appliances such as hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, radios and TV's within the reach of small children and pets.
  14. Never use a fork or knife to remove food objects from a toaster.
  15. Keep heating pads and electric blankets at relatively low settings to avoid overheating, never "tuck in" the sides or ends of an electric blanket.


  1. Inspect your outlets. loose-fitting plugs can surprise someone with a chock, or even start a fire. If your wall plate is broken, replace it so wires won't be exposed. Insert plastic safety caps into unused outlets if your family includes young children.
  2. Make peace with plugs. If a plug does not comfortably fit into an outlet, don't force it. Try a different plug. Never remove the grounding pin (Third prong) so a three prong plug will fit into a two prong outlet.
  3. Be careful with cords. They are not designed to last forever. Toss frayed or cracked cords. Move cords out from under the carpets or rugs, where they endure constant pounding that can rip them or wear them out, exposing you to fire from overheated wires.
  4. Pack up extension cords. they are fine for connecting strands of holiday lights and for helping decorations reach plugs during Decembers. But come January 1, pack them up and store them. Extension cords are designed for temporary use.
  5. Watch your wattage. The light bulbs in your lamps and overhead fixtures should match the specifications on those fixtures. A bulb with wattage that is to high can overheat.
  6. Find no fault. Ground-fault circuit interrupters are a must in every outlet in the kitchen, bathrooms, laundry, basement, garage and outdoors. If water could touch electricity, you need Ground-fault circuit interrupters on every outlet in the room.
  7. Fuss with your fuses. If you don't know whether your fuses are the right size for the circuit they are protecting, call an electrician.
  8. Adjust Appliances. If a circuit trips every time you plug in your hair dryer, or if your coffee maker has ever chocked you when you plugged it in, you have faulty appliances or overloaded circuit. An electrician can identify and save your problem.
  9. Upgrade the wiring. Faulty electrical wires start many fires. If you hear popping or sizzling sounds behind the walls, or if light switches feel hot, do not use those fixtures or switches until a licensed electrician has replaced them.
  10. Get what you need. Unless you live in a brand-new house, you are probably electricity than the builder ever dreamed you would. Call an electrician to determine whether your home needs more electrical capacity.